Surfing: big, bigger, big wave30 December, 2014
Jorge Dreher – Surfer at age 8027 January, 2015
London, 6 ° C, light rain versus Tenerife, 19 ° C, sunny. In Puerto de la Cruz on Tenerife, the home base of the AtlantikSurf, beside the climate you have many more treats for your surf holiday/ winter holiday in the sun.
Puerto de la Cruz is the sixth largest city in Tenerife with 140.00 inhabitants and one of the tourist centers on the north coast of Tenerife. The north of Tenerife impresses with its lush green landscape and the grandiose contrasts of sea and mountains.
The north and the south of Tenerife are very contradictory. In the south you will find the “Sunshine Guarantee”, but also a different kind of tourists, let’s say a rather all-inclusive atmosphere. The North, however, is more original and perfect for independent travelers who do not want to do what all do. Unlike Las Américas in the south, in Puerto de la Cruz in the north you have a good mix of people from around the world and locals. In addition, the north of Tenerife has more to offer than the south according to waves for surfers.
A surfing holiday in Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife has much to recommend it:
- In Puerto de la Cruz you can surf or learn to surf right in the doorstep. Two city beaches are available to you, Playa Martiánez or the middle part of Playa Jardín.
- After a 10 minutes drive you will find the beach of El Socorro belonging to Los Realejos. This is a world-class surf spot where the locals go surfing and various Surf Contests will be held. As a beginner, you should be careful surfing in this surf spot, especially in winter!
- The two beautiful beaches ElBollullo and LosPatos are just around the corner. You reach the beaches after a short hike along the coast leaving Puerto de la Cruz. The beaches are black volcanic sand, in the back raises the steep coast, very impressive!
- If you are tired of all the surfing, in Puerto de la Cruz you have great shopping possibilities, some cool surf clothes and all thanks to the tax exemption in the Canary Islands at a very good price. Enjoy dinner at one of the many bars and restaurants and enjoy the nightlife as Puerto de la Cruz has some great nightlife to offer.
- In the world famous Loro Parque you can, like millions of visitors each year,marvel at exotic animals or relax and unwind in the pool area Lago Martiánez designed by CésarManrique.
- After a just 45 minutes drive you get to the Teide, Spain’s highest mountainat (3718 meter).
- If you will not only visit surf spots, you have La Orotava, Garachico, Icod de los Vinos and La Laguna nearby. The cities have each a very nice old town full of Canary tradicions.
- On the way to Bollullo beach you almost pass by the home of superstar Shakira and Gerard Piqué in Tenerife. If you’re lucky you do see the celebrities;-)
So why hesitate? Enjoy the sunny side of winter in a surfing holiday in Tenerife! We at AtlantikSurf are looking forward to you.