Julian Wilson wins the Quicksilver PRO Gold Coast21 March, 2018
Rip Curl PRO Bells Beach gets emotional2 April, 2018
After Julian Wilson won the first event of the season, the Quicksilver Pro Gold Coast, the tournament moves on to the second Australian spot of the title, PRO Bells Beach, where, according to the World Surf League, there are 5 men that need a close watch starting by:
- Mick Fanning: Fanning has made 6 Finals in Pro Bells Beach, of which he has won 4. His Hit winning percentage is 70% and nobody has a better percentage. It all started here for him back in 2001, he wants to win again and he knows he is favourite.
- Adriano de Souza: Two time finalist, former winner, one of the most dangerous surfers of the pack, it seems his speed and power are super important here and might help him.
- Jordy Smith: Jordy Smith won the 2017 Pro Bells Beach and before that he got very near too. His win rate has climbed from 65 to 68%, second highest in this competition. The fact that he didn’t do well at Gold Coast makes him more motivated to win this one.
- Frederico Morais: He was 5th last year gaining some respect among the giants. Big chilly righthanders are his specialty. The Portuguese is surfing better than ever and this kind of wave might be perfect for him. Let’s see how he does.
- Griffin Colapinto: Here is the Rookie, the USA Rookie boy everybody wants to see in the media. 19 year old beginner with powerful moves and confidence. He is the son of a teacher. He’s got nothing to lose, and it seems that he knows how to listen and learn. OMG can’t wait for the contest to start !
Want to be the next Colapinto? Take some surfing lessons in Tenerife.