Top 15 things to do in Tenerife3 May, 2017
10 – 11th June 2017: Bilbao World Sup Challenge18 May, 2017
Today I’d like to write about the best surf schools in Tenerife and for that we are going to name 8 surf schools in the Island. It’s up to you to choose from the list according to your requirements and location. If you want to see all the official surf schools in Tenerife take a look at the previous link. You can also take a look at the Federación Canaria de Surf, as all these surfing schools are licensed by it.
- Atlantik Surf: Atlantik Surf is a surf school that has been open since 2010 and has had literally thousands of students. The good thing about Atlantik Surf is that it’s not based on a single beach in Tenerife, although it usually gives lessons in Puerto de la Cruz (north of the island), when conditions aren’t good in the north they travel to the south of Tenerife. It’s very easy for you to find them in the Playa El Socorro, Playa Jardín, Montaña Pelada in El Médano, Playa Martiánez, and Playa Almáciga, (they have licenses for 5 beaches in Tenerife). According to customer experiences in Trip Advisor, it’s like a family, they will go and pick you up wherever you are (in the north) and you will meet everybody in the van or in the beach and spend a great time with all of them. On the other hand, surfing teachers are professional surfing teachers with all the necessary Licenses, like Jonathan Peraza Méndez (Jony) who also speaks several languages. Another good thing about them is that they also rent boards to everyone and they also give bodyboarding lessons. Atlantik Surf gives courses for little groups of beginners (max. 8 people); Bodyboarding lessons. This surfing school in Tenerife doesn’t accept kids under 16.
- Mucho Swell: This is a different surf school because their aim is to perfect your surfing, I mean, you already have to know how to surf in order to call them, which is something quite different and special.
- La Marea: Marea is a good surf school based in Playa de Martiánez in Puerto de la Cruz, the bad thing is that as they are always there sometimes conditions aren’t perfect to surf and Martiánez is always packed with beginners who aren’t in the lessons so it gets quite crowded. On the other hand, in summer there are no waves practically.
- Fitenia: Fitenia is a surf school for kids based in the capital of Tenerife, Santa Cruz, and they usually give surfing lessons in the beach of Taganana, and here we have the opposite to La Marea, sometimes conditions are too bad for kids, as that part of the island can bring strong waves and currents. But it’s always better to learn with difficult waves.
- AR2 Project: This is another surfing school for kids but they also have a surf camp during summer and in several beaches. It’s good to send your kids in summer 😉
- Green Wave: Green Wave is located in la Punta del Hidalgo, a very beautiful area in the north side of Tenerife, they call it the beach of La Laguna. Plenty of competitions of all levels are based there so conditions vary from huge to normal swells. They give lessons in several beaches in the area. It’s recommended for advanced levels as they breaks aren’t easy and are quite crowded.
- Tenerife Surf School: Tenerife Surf School is one of the several surf school in the south of the Island. But you have to know that these beaches in Las Américas and Los Cristianos are always crowded so it’s gonna be difficult for you to learn, although conditions are perfect for beginners and waves are usually good as they have reef underneath.
- Black Stone Surf Camp: What I like about them is that it’s not only a surf school in Tenerife, it’s also a Surf House and you can stay there with them, meet new friends and learn to skate, ping pong, relax at the swimming pool, chill at the terrace. It’s a different experience in the south of Tenerife, in the area of Callao Salvaje.